Good Sports Grant
Good Sports gives all kids the lifelong benefits of sport and physical activity by providing equipment, apparel and footwear to those most in need.
Youth organizations across southwest Alabama have the opportunity to apply for brand-new sports equipment, apparel, and footwear from our partners at Good Sports. These equipment grants aim to increase minutes of play, expose children to new activities, and open the door for children of all abilities to experience a variety of academic, social and emotional benefit.
The Project Play report released by the Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program announced one in three children in Mobile County is overweight, twice the national average. Additionally, the report found girls have fewer opportunities than boys to participate in active play. According to the Center for Disease Control, 15.2% of Mobile County residents ages 14 to 18 meet the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity per day, compared to 35.5% of males 14 to 18.
Limited program budgets and high pay-to-play costs create significant financial barriers for children in southwest Alabama. As a result, we are proud to partner with Good Sports to promote healthier habits and build more active communities through sport and play.
Apply for a Sports Equipment Grant
Application deadline for an equipment, footwear, or apparel grant is April 15th, 2019.
We do ask that all applicants meet each of the following criteria:
- Your organization directly serves youth between the ages of 3-18 years old.
- Your organization serves youth in an economically disadvantaged area.
- Your organization charges a participation fee of $299 or below.
- Schools Only: More than half of the student body must be eligible for free/reduced lunch.
- Your organization is located in the following counties in southwest Alabama: Baldwin, Mobile, Choctaw, Washington, Clarke, Monroe, Conecuh or Escambia.
- Your organization operates an organized sport, recreational activity, or fitness program that offers consistent and structured opportunity for play to large groups of children.
Additionally, Good Sports is NOT able to donate to the following:
- Short-term events such as sports camps and tournaments,
- Individual athletes.
Need More Information?
.Have questions about eligibility or the application process? Good Sports is here to help! Email: Community@goodsports.org. Call: 614-471-1213.
Sports Opportunities for Youth
About the Good Sports Organization
Good Sports is a nationwide, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization founded in 2003 that grants brand-new equipment, apparel, and footwear to youth organizations. The Boston, MA organization exists because children across the United States are missing a key developmental opportunity: the chance to be active and play sports.